Bad Composition Image

bad-compo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a9/2d/b6/a92db690010ad33620b12fa5f07f99f4.jpg

Published by: Peg Heckman (Art Ed- Photography)
Copyright image copyright_symbol_9

Critique:

1. The subject is in the center, this photo made me wander around my eyes and to look for a subject (is it the statue or the girl?)
  2. The angle is not good. Too much head room, and the joints of the subject was cut and it makes her look like she’s body-less. In this angle, you can also see the merge of the water and her head, it looks like something is going out from her head.
  3. The focus is in the whole picture, it’s confusing where to look.
  4. The photo is close, but the photo seems so meaningless because of so much detail in the subject’s back. (Should be simplified.)
  5. The picture seems emotionless and that it does not have any “moment to capture”
  6. It is not symmetrically balances. She’s wearing a dark color and everything above is bright, some is overexposed, and it is not a good photo balance.

Good Composition Image

good-compo

https://iso.500px.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/sam1_cover-1500×1000.jpg

A Day in the Life of Portrait Photographer Sam ‘Portraitsbysam’
Published by DL Cade • 2 years ago.  Copyright image copyright_symbol_9

Critique:

1. Rule of thirds is not necessary to be used as always, in this case, the center of the photo is the girl, and I like the way it is. It is a good position of the subject.
  2. The focus is in the girl (most particularly in her eyes) which evokes emotion. Her hand is blurry and her face is in focus. (Really brings out a lot of meaning in the photo)
  3. It is close and simple. Nothing unnecessary  in the picture. (I like the small white bits that also add some emotions in her face and in overall picture)
  4. It is symmetrically balanced. It looks perfect for me.
  5. Overall, the photo will really lead you to the center and you’ll see the girl’s eyes.

More example of good composition

1       8

10

4       5

More example of bad composition

.b3         b2

..b6         .b4

4 thoughts on “Learning about composition

1. Hi Capture the Moment! You have made an excellent start to your blog. Keep up the creative work!